Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Getting Gear'd Up...

Soccer season has officially begun (about six weeks ago actually!) and it’s high time I get the car stocked for the season. Better late than never, I guess. I am in no way a soccer veteran but there are some things I have learned that I can’t travel without.

MyGirl’s first outdoor soccer tournament was a muddy mess. They played their first game in the rain on Friday night. The fields were still in decent condition when we left that evening, but when we returned on Saturday around noon, I saw tow trucks pulling mini vans from the what-used-to-be-a-grassy parking lot. I felt a little panicked until Hubs offered to drop us off with "all of the stuff" and he would park at the strip mall across the street.

I fumbled with a cooler, two camping chairs, a bag full of snacks, my purse and my to-go cup of coffee. Can you say AMATEUR?

So here’s the deal… if it’s raining – and I can almost guarantee that you will play in the rain at least once this year… Don’t bring your cooler, your snacks or your purse… Bring your ponchos, galoshes and an umbrella. Will you look like a total dork on the sidelines? Yes, but you will be dry. (The only person that I have seen rock out the rain outfit is MPIC – but that girlie can glam up any look – just sayin’.)

The girls played in a sloggy bog of mud that was at least a half-cleat high that weekend and it was a little cold. One of the girls on the team was wearing cotton-lined, “swishy” pants under her uniform shorts to keep warm. Not a bad idea – until those pants got so wet and muddy that she was stepping on them while she was running and it was really slowing her down. Her parents weren’t there and the girl was staying with SM3.

We knew we had to do something. So at half time, we ran over to the sidelines, the girls circled around us so that no one could see what we were doing. I held an old towel around the girl and SM3 pulled off her shorts and pants (over her shin guards, socks and cleats) and then slipped her shorts back on her – all the while the girls were attentively listening to Coach #2’s half-time drumming.

Whew! Lesson learned. Girls wear leggings that layer under their shin guards.

So here are a few things I try to keep in my car during soccer season:

  • Deluxe camping chair – And when I say deluxe, I mean lightweight and easy to carry. You will appreciate it when you have secured the last parking spot in the lot and you have to do a 3K just to get to your field
  • Umbrella – I use mine to provide shade as well. (Me + The Sun = Not Friends)
  • Ponchos – one for everybody in the family
  • Old towels – especially when it rains (or for when your youngest child finds a sinkhole – right, SM3?)
  • Wet wipes - You will need them – Pinky Swear.
  • Blanket or two – For when it’s cold or to let people sit on it.
  • A couple of extra bottles of water
  • Sunscreen
  • A box of SCENTED Fabric Softener Sheets – to stuff in cleats or backpack when the smell is just too much.


IF I was really good, and I’m not…. I would also put an old pair of shin guards, an extra ball and some socks in there…

Before games, I always try to make sure MyGirl has packed the following in her backpack:

  • Both jersey tops – I’ll repeat (as does the manager over and over and over)… she needs BOTH jersey tops at every game. Sometimes, she is assigned to wear white, but when she shows up, she has to wear blue. It's just part of life. Just pack'em both.
  • Mouthguard…. See earlier post.
  • Inhaler (exercise-induced asthma) - Nothing is worse than leaving it in the car when she needs it.
  • Shin guards and cleats (DUH!)
  • Extra socks – especially if she has more than one game.
  • Extra clean shirt – in case we go somewhere after the game
  • Crocs, Slides or other slip on shoes (MyGirl normally wears them to the fields and changes into her cleats in the car.)
  • Plastic bag – to put wet cleats/clothes in
  • Water bottle (preferably filled with water)
  • Gear for the colder days - “Underarmour” shirt, gloves (with grippies) and an ear-band

Last year, I started letting her pack the bag and then I go through it to make sure she has everything.

If there is a new soccer mom out there reading this… I hope it helps. To all of my soccer friends, I know you already do all this stuff because I learned from all of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment