Monday, May 16, 2011

State League - Game #3!!

After we returned home from Louisville (slightly) victorious, it was time for our 3rd State League Match. (If you’ll remember, MyGirl was overcome with Crazy Eyes during the first State League match and had to sit out the second.

So she was psyched for this one. The last thing I said to her was, “Don’t eat too much, you don’t play well on a full stomach. AND – don’t punch anyone today! Okay???” I have a bit of a commute to work and the fields we played on for State League were a bit of a commute too, in the other direction. So, All-StarGirl’s mom picked up MyGirl from school and took her to the game.

Hubs and I were going to meet at an Outlet Mall just off the interstate and head north an hour more to the game. Perfect plan – until you factor in traffic. It ended up that Hubs and MyBoy were at the mall waiting for me, when I came upon a car wreck – six miles from where I was to get off the interstate to meet him. It took me 45 minutes to get that six miles. At least Hubs and MyBoy were at a mall and could get some shopping done, I guess.

Anyway, when we finally hooked up, we started driving as fast as our little Nissan could take us. I realized when we were about 30 minutes away and the games was about to start, that we weren’t going to make it there until half time. I text messaged MPIC, SM3, AllStar Girl’s Mom and SisterMarySoccer’s dad: “I’m not going to make it on time. Keep me posted. Should be there by half.” The rest of the conversation went like this.

SisterMarySoccer’s Dad responded instantly, “Is MyGirl with you????”

Me: “No. She caught a ride from AllStarGirl.”

Sister MarySoccer’s Dad: “I have a visual on her. She’s here.” (I did not receive another message from SisterMarySoccer’s dad. I will remember that when he isn’t at a game!)

AllStarGirl’s Mom: “Ok”

SM3, MPIC: “Game on”

2 minutes into the game
AllStarGirl’s Mom: “We look at little slow. The grass is giving them trouble.”

UGGH!!!

AllStarGirl’s Mom: (I don’t remember exactly, but it was a longer, more-detailed version of ‘Cross in, we score.’

1 minute later
SM3: “We score.” 30 seconds later – MPIC sends the same message.

1-0. You would not believe how intense the car ride was… We were trying so hard to get there and you never knew if anytime my phone buzzed it was going to be bad for us, or good for us.

A few minutes later, something crazy looking must have happened because I got these messages:

AllStarGirl’s Mom: “The grass is really thick.”

30 seconds later:
SM3: “Us 1, them 0, Grass 3”

I texted AllStarGirl’s Mom: “How’s MyGirl playing?” She replied, “Good. Very Focused. Intense.”

A bit later, my phone alarms three times. We scored again.

Hubs, MyBoy and I FINALLY pull into the parking lot and I can see the game. We got there in time for me to see about 5 minutes of the first half. As I walked up, I see one of their girls push one of our girl straight off the ball. I yelled, “Hey! That’s a foul!” from about 20 feet away from the sidelines. One of the parents turned around and said, “It’ll get worse, he hasn’t called anything all game.”

We ended up winning 3-0. The second half was a good one. The refs didn’t call much of anything. MyGirl was intense and focused. (No crazy eyes!)

The girls looked like a well-oiled machine. They made some really great passes. And Coach #3 was...satisfied.

State League Record: 3-0! One more win and we are going into the State Tournament as #1 in the East!

No comments:

Post a Comment