Thursday, April 11, 2013

One Week Down - Many to Go!

Wow!

It’s been a busy few days.

The first night was painful. Painful for her and painful for me to watch.

Saturday
When she woke up on Saturday, the only thing she wanted was that wrap off of her leg. Her foot was swollen and her thigh was swollen. It hurt if anyone touched her leg or her foot.

My sister is an Occupational Therapist, so I called her to come over to help change the dressing. While we were waiting, MyGirl just couldn’t stand it, so I slowly started taking the ACE Bandage off - only to find that there were three bandages wrapped tightly around her leg. We would take one off, wait a minute and then take the other one off.



It was a relief and a nightmare because after we got them all off, we had to put on a compression sleeve. (NIGHT. MARE.)

That whole day she winced before we even touched her. But, when her friends came to visit, she would be able to forget about her knee for a few minutes and enjoy the company.

Sunday

On day 2, my sister came over again to help with the shower. I do not know what people do if they don’t have an Occupational Therapist for a sister. We weren’t allowed to get her leg wet; she couldn’t take off her brace and she couldn’t put any pressure on her foot. My sister brought two things with her that I never realized I needed - a shower chair and a hand-held shower.

Liz stood up and my sister “bagged” her leg in one minute flat – trash bag and papertape. Liz hobbled into the bathroom and sat down on the shower chair and my sister slowly lifted her leg over the tub. Liz couldn’t put her foot directly on the tub floor because the angle was painfully awkward. Right before my eyes, my sister pulled two tupperware containers of different heights out of nowhere and MyGirl had a shower foot rest too!

The shower lasted all of 10 minutes. Liz crutched back to her room, my sis pulled that bag off and helped her get dressed. Not a single drop of water on that brace. AMAZING – especially considering when Liz has two good knees there are no 10-minute showers happening at our house.

She was EXHAUSTED by the time she got back in the bed. We tried to do therapy that day too. It was hard and she just couldn’t do it – and I just couldn’t make her.

Monday
The next day was better and we tried the therapy again. We were able to get through it. I had to help her lift her legs and keep my hand under her knee. If she had said, “Mom, I just can’t do it.” I would have said that she didn’t have to do it - ever again. But she battled through and by the time we did it the second time that day, she did much better.

Tuesday
Therapy was much easier. She could lift her bad leg by herself and no one had to put their hand under her knee. My sister came over to give her another shower. The prep time was shorter but the shower lasted a bit longer. She was able to get dressed by herself too – it took ten long minutes, but she did it.

Tuesday night, Hubs woke up to find that she decided to unplug herself from her polar pack, lift her bad leg out of bed with her good leg, somehow snag her crutches and go to the bathroom by herself. WTHeck??? (When I found out, I almost flipped but at the same time I was relieved because I knew she had to be feeling better!)

Now, she’s doing pretty well – considering she hasn’t left her bedroom for six days. Tomorrow, physician follow-up appointment, stitches out and maybe, no crutches. At this point she has not been able to bear any weight through her leg, but tomorrow, he supposed to take her off of her crutches. We will see!

Can you believe we are only one week from being able to ride a stationary bike and 9 weeks from running?

Meanwhile, the team came in second place in the Bash in the Boro and has two state league games this weekend. Liz should be able to be there to cheer them on!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. I love how detailed you are with all the pictures. Thank you for reaching out to me. I would love to promote your blog as well. I plan to keep in touch. We are now Knee-Recovery buddies! Talk to you soon! James Harper

    #RunHarperRun

    www.RunHarperRun.com

    ReplyDelete